Monday, September 16, 2013

Will It Always Be Like This?



We can not go home until Keeg's ketones are normal/trace. Last night they were small. We were ecstatic. We were going to get to go home! They were on their way down. This morning though, they were moderate. By lunchtime, they were back to large.

I had some dumb idea I'd catch up on schoolwork (college) today. I'm so far behind. Yet, I've been in meetings since 8am this morning. I just now got done. I've met with case managers, diabetic counselors, nutritionist, endocrinologist, doctor, social workers, and more. I've learned what to do for low sugar and for high sugar. I've practiced how to inject my son with a special needle if he is unconscious and been instructed to call 911 after. (((SCARY))) I've learned about different lancets, needles, and insulin. I'm in information overload.

My son has diabetes. Diabetes can kill.

Diabetes can kill.

My son has diabetes.

This is where I am today. Stuck on the fact that my son has diabetes and that diabetes can kill.

Stuck on the fact that his sugar has elevated to almost 400 despite getting 16 units of insulin and that his ketones are large despite his being on fluids and drinking a ton of water.

My son has diabetes.

Diabetes can kill.

No comments:

Post a Comment